Saturday, January 7, 2012

Anniversary Puppies


Asa woke me up at 3 a.m. this morning. I kept hearing her whimper, whine, and bark. At first I thought she had to go outside to go potty. Despite my efforts to ignore her and go back to sleep she insisted it was urgent. So I got up and slipped my boots and coat on and reached for a leash. Only to realize she had no intent on going outside. "What the heck could she possibly want at this hour?" I thought to myself as I stumbled back to bed. Again at 4 a.m. she woke me up with her whimpers, whines and barks. I got up thinking "what are those silly cats doing to aggravate her this time?" But all our little kitties were nestled in their beds sound asleep. "That's odd." I thought as I went back to bed. 5 a.m. and again, but more urgently. She barked and whimpered. Could someone actually be outside the house upsetting her? A burglar? I paused in my tracks and looked down at Asa to see where her focus was. She was looking directly at the dining room window. Should I wake my husband and make him secure the house? She barked at me again. This time I was fully awake and certain this was not at all like my Asa and she was trying to tell me something. So I keeled down to pet her and she lay down in my arms and that's when I noticed the contractions. PUPPIES! No, we can't have puppies! We're going to have puppies! I rushed to grab her a blanket and woke everyone in the house. We're having puppies! And as I keeled back down beside her and petted her gently to reassure her that everything was going to be alright she pushed the first one out. She looked up at me confused and back at the puppy and began licking it but he was struggling to get free from the bag. I looked to her wanting her to do it but he was starting to not move and so I tore open the back from around his face as she watched me and then took over. 
30 minuets later a second puppy appeared and she was a pro. I sat by her side all day waiting to make sure she and the pups were alright. But no more puppies arrived. And I did see some after birth with the second pup. But why only two? Certainly it wasn't because I could only afford to keep two at the most. But then I realized. It's my anniversary. I got puppies for my anniversary. I had hoped she would give me a black one just like my beloved Tsunami was. But it was quite clear neither of these pups were going to be black. But I love them none-the-less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More